Salmon confit with olive oil and citrus fruits
- 500 g-1 lb salmon fillet
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) salt
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) sugar
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 pink grapefruit, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 5 mL (1 tsp) each fennel seeds and ground mustard
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 5-6 sprigs of dill
- 500 mL (2 cups) olive oil
- Place the salmon in a large rectangular dish. In a bowl, combine the salt and sugar and spread over the salmon. Cover with plastic wrap and place the salmon in the fridge for 1 hour. Rinse the salmon with water to remove the salt and sugar mixture.
- Blot it with a paper towel and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 135 °C (275 °F).
- Place citrus slices in the bottom of a rectangular baking dish, and set aside a few slices to garnish the salmon.
- Place the salmon on top of the citrus slices and season the salmon with fennel, dry mustard and pepper. Place the remaining 6- citrus on top of the salmon filet, sprinkle with dill sprigs, and pour the oil over top.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.